"Life is like a box of chocolates. You don't know what you get until you bite into the center."
Forest Gump

Monday, July 30, 2012

                                                 Learning to let go.


Over the weekend we sadly had to put Swiffer to sleep.  He has been with our family for the past 13 years.  I acknowledge that not everyone is a cat lover, infact, my husband would be happy to wear the button.  But Swiffer was a people pleaser.  He sought you out, he comforted you when you needed support, he answered every question you asked of him, and he woke me every morning at 6:05 am by tapping my shoulder.  Today is day 3 without Swiffer and I am still waking at 6:05 am with the first thought being that I am facing another day learning life without him.

Death is a strange concept for Barry.  Death is a strange concept for most of us.  We have lost two grandmas and one grandpa in the past ten years, and although he understands death means they are not coming back to us, I'm not sure he grasps the concept.  This is a topic I work on.  I want Barry to understand that death is a part of life, and it is our belief that we will see each other again, even Swiffer.

So I'm wondering, how are other parents and caregivers prepare their adults with disabilities to face this topic? 

No comments:

Post a Comment